Orioles acquire LHP Rich Hill from Cubs

Cal8

ORIOLES ACQUIRE LHP RICH HILL FROM CUBS

The Orioles today announced that they have acquired LHP RICH HILL from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for a player to be named. LHP BRIAN BURRES was designated for assignment to make room for Hill on the 40-man roster.

Hill, 28, was selected by the Cubs in the 4th round of the 2002 First Year Player Draft out of the University of Michigan. He set career highs in 2007 with 11 victories, 32 starts, 195.0 innings pitched, 183 strikeouts (5th in the NL) and a 1.195 WHIP (8th in the NL).

In 2006, Hill was a Pacific Coast League All-Star and named to the Topps/Minor League Baseball Triple-A All Star team after the season. He was named the Cubs’ 5th best prospect by Baseball America that year.

Hill broke camp with the Cubs in 2008, but battled a back injury and spent a majority of the season in the minor leagues. He went 1-0 in 5 starts with the Cubs and 4-7 in 13 total starts with rookie-level Mesa (3), Single-A Daytona (3) and Triple-A Iowa (7).

Burres, 27, went 7-10 with a 6.04 ERA in 31 games (22 starts) with the Orioles in 2008.

--orioles--

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ORIOLES ACQUIRE LHP RICH HILL FROM CUBS

The Orioles today announced that they have acquired LHP RICH HILL from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for a player to be named. LHP BRIAN BURRES was designated for assignment to make room for Hill on the 40-man roster.

Hill, 28, was selected by the Cubs in the 4th round of the 2002 First Year Player Draft out of the University of Michigan. He set career highs in 2007 with 11 victories, 32 starts, 195.0 innings pitched, 183 strikeouts (5th in the NL) and a 1.195 WHIP (8th in the NL).

In 2006, Hill was a Pacific Coast League All-Star and named to the Topps/Minor League Baseball Triple-A All Star team after the season. He was named the Cubs’ 5th best prospect by Baseball America that year.

Hill broke camp with the Cubs in 2008, but battled a back injury and spent a majority of the season in the minor leagues. He went 1-0 in 5 starts with the Cubs and 4-7 in 13 total starts with rookie-level Mesa (3), Single-A Daytona (3) and Triple-A Iowa (7).

Burres, 27, went 7-10 with a 6.04 ERA in 31 games (22 starts) with the Orioles in 2008.

--orioles--

Good news, but do you have a link?

SweeT!

Glad it got done.

And Buress is DFA'ed...Somewhere, 1970 is crying. :)

I'm not 1970, but I'm not thrilled about losing Burres. I still think he will wind up a serviceable pitcher somewhere. I hope that we can deal him instead of losing him to a waiver claim.

I know that, but when I went to the Orioles site, I couldn't find it.

Sorry, looks like we here at the OH are quicker at posting than the O's... :o

Regardless, I'm sure it'll be out on ESPN and the O's website soon enough.

Archived